Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Cultural Baggage & Pet Milk

Stuart Dybek's telling of the story and the narration throughout the word illustration reminded me of the poem titled "The Day Lady Died". Frank approached the poem in a way that let me know what was going on and how its relation was to the famous Billie Holiday. In similar comparison, Pet Milk went through a daily routine that described the way a day began and ended. Changing the setting for either piece is like changing the entire story. The swirls in the coffee that was described as being "ivory" could represent the cultivation of what happens when two different things mix. Barbara's Cultural Baggage brought to my attention how there is never always a black and white to a situation. The narrator grew up while adapting different cultures. Overall, I liked the reading of cultural baggage because it in a way described my view point of how it is not necessary to be put in a traditional box. "Think for yourself", "Always ask why", "Try new things", and "None" are all phrases and words I heard growing up in my Chicago household.

No comments:

Post a Comment